Monday, October 5, 2015

Jesus Taught in Parables

Jesus Taught in Parables

1.    In the Bible Dictionary read the first three paragraphs under the entry “Parables” (pgs. 740-41). In your own words, write a definition of a parable.

To me, a parable is a story with deeper meaning. Parables are told this way so that the listener can think and apply their faith to interpret the meaning, instead of just telling them the purpose of the story. That way, people who are truly interested in revealing the deeper meaning can intrigue their mind, and the people who don’t care will walk away with nothing but a story.

2.    Read the following parables: parable of the tares (Matthew 13:24-30); parables of the mustard seed and the leaven (Matthew 13:47-50); parables of the treasure and the pearl of great price (Matthew 13:44-46); parable of the gospel net (Matthew 13:47-50). Next to each of the following questions write the name of the parable that best answers that question.

o       What describes the future growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Parable of the leaven

o       Why does the Church send out so many missionaries?
Parable of the gospel net.

o       How do you explain the remarkable growth of the Church, considering
that it is fairly new compared to most world religions and started small in the American frontier?
Parable of the mustard seed

o       Why are some members of the Church willing to sacrifice so much worldly wealth and recognition in order to maintain membership in the Church?
Parable of the treasure and the pearl of great price

o       Why do some Church members choose to leave the Church?
Parable of the tares



o       Considering the parables of the treasure and the pearl of great price (see
Matthew 13:44-46), what sacrifices would you be willing to make to obtain the treasure of the gospel? What sacrifices have you or those you know already made for the gospel?
This is a great question. It made me reflect on how much I appreciate the treasures of the gospel now, even though I’ve had them all of my life. I’d like to think that if I were a convert to the church, I would give up anything that was impeding me from joining the church, even a good relationship with my family, living with my boyfriend, giving up bad habits, etc. Because I would know that knowing and living the gospel treasures would be more important than anything else. On my mission I saw incredible faith of those who have done just those things in order for them to have salvation and follow God’s commandments. It is a huge example to me that I need to give up the little things in order to keep the treasures of the gospel that I already have.

o       What does the net represent in the parable of the net cast into the sea? (See Matthew 13:47). What does it mean to be gathered into the net? What is represented by the action of gathering the good into vessels and casting the bad away? (See Matthew 13:48-50).

I believe the net represents all forms of missionary work- people with outstretched hands to help those who are swimming in a sea of confusion. To be gathered into the net represents being gathered into the gospel, with many people being rescued. I think gathering the good into vessels means that we accept those that are willing to keep the commandments- those who are worthy to be baptized and make a covenant with God. Casting the bad away represents those that are not quite ready to accept the gospel. They are not willing to change or they are purposefully a bad influence to those that are trying to keep the commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment